Tuesday 29 September 2009

Last day for blackberry picking


Today is the last day to pick blackberries!

According to legend; on the night of Michaelmas (September 29th) the devil spits on blackberries, making them inedible. So get out in the sunshine and see what you can forage!

We managed a small harvest this morning, much to our delight. I really thought we had seen the last of them, but we've been blessed with beautiful weather, so they are still ripe and plump.

We've left plenty for the birds and mice, however and have really enjoyed our wonderful harvest this year; it's been a real blessing. The only thing I wished I had got around to doing was making jam. I've never made jam of any sort and I wanted to try blackberry and apple. That will be my goal for next year!

What have you made with blackberries this year?

This year we have made:

blackberry muffins.



blackberry and chocolate brownies.



Blackberry and apple turnovers.



blackberry regal cake.



blackberry sponge pudding.

4 comments:

  1. Those muffins... look SO delicious! I'm sorry, you have a great blog, but I'm not sure if I can follow you. Makes we WAY TOO HUNGRY. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehehe! I would say sorry about that, but perhaps I should invite you over for tea instead!

    Glad you like the pics; I can't stand recipe books without some eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackberry and chocolate brownies?! Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Iris, good to see you; thanks for leaving a comment. Have just enjoyed looking at some of your lovely photos; apple and cinnamon waffles sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete