Monday 8 March 2010

Sugar free Lemon fairy cakes with chocolate icing

As something a bit lighter to fudgy chocolate Birthday cake last week, I also made lemon fairy cakes and experimented with some icing. I've found it quite hard to make icing in the past without sugar in it.

I think it's safe to say I have surpassed myself this time as DH asked me four times whether I had written this down and could replicate it in the future! He seemed quite sad when he licked the final offering from the bowl!. It doesn't look the prettiest thing in the world, but then neither does anything once it hits your stomach ;)

Lemon fairy cakes with chocolate icing

Ingredients

  • 150g butter
  • 100g fructose
  • 2 large eggs
  • 150g plain flour
  • 72g rice or cornflour
  • 17g baking powder
  • grated rind of 2 lemons
  • enough milk to make a dropping consistency
  • For the icing: 100g soft butter
  • 100g set honey
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 200g cream cheese

Method

  • Cream the butter and fructose
  • Add the eggs and beat well
  • Add the flours, baking powder, lemon rind and mix well
  • Add enough milk to make a dropping consistency
  • Divide the mix into fairy cake cases - makes about 20
  • Bake at 180 for 12 minutes (in my fan oven)
  • Cool on a rack
  • To make the icing: beat all the ingredients together and spread on the cakes

The icing can seem quite runny, but it gradually dries out and becomes firmer. If it's a hot day, put the icing in the 'fridge for a while before attempting to spread on the cakes otherwise it's more like a sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment