Thursday 13 August 2009

baked beans


I've always wanted to make my own baked beans! Don't ask me why; I guess, like bread, it's just one of those satisfaction things to be able to do.

In addition, finding sugar free baked beans is not easy (or cheap). Sure, I can get them in large supermarkets, but we try to avoid those. Plus my small local health food shop do not always have them in.

So today I set myself the challenge of making some beans and this is the recipe I created:

Sugar free baked beans

Ingredients


  • 1 finely diced onion
  • 1 clove smashed garlic
  • 1 finely diced red pepper
  • a little oil for frying
  • 10 tbsp passata
  • 2 tbsp agave syrup
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • pinch mustard powder
  • pinch allspice
  • pinch cinamon
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tin drained haricot beans

Method

  • Fry 1 finely diced onion, 1 clove smashed garlic and 1 finely diced red pepper in a little oil until soft
  • Add the rest of the ingredients, pop a lid on and simmer for 30 minutes
Verdict:

10/10 - better than Heinz! My daughter asked for more vinegar next time and DH asked for less vinegar and more salt; so I guess it's a question of taste. But this was a huge success and I was able to make an organic, sugar free product for less than I could buy it for.

I was really pleased and had a Ma Larkin moment!

2 comments:

  1. I do actually need this recipe in Italy Rae as all you can get are yucky, sickly old heinz beans and they cost over €2 a tin!! These look much more wholesome... just need to see if I can source some Agave syrup now.... health food shop, here we come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. £2 a tin - oh my goodness! Well, if you don't mind the sugar, use sugar instead :) I just use agave because of dd's intolerance to refined sugar.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete