Sunday 2 August 2009

Jammy buns!


I love the name of these; jammy buns - it just makes me laugh and I couldn't wait to make them.

I found the recipe over on the lovely "Diary of a Frugal Family" website. What I loved about making this is that it is SO easy. Children can handle the dough easily and it's super quick to make. Definitely a recipe for a beginner.

My daughter always eyes up the jammy dodger biscuits in the shops, and of course those are loaded with sugar (and goodness knows what else), so these will make a great alternative for her. There is even REAL fruit in the jam, so a tiny bit of nutritional value. Ok, I know that's stretching it a bit, but at least there aren't any nasties in there!

Jammy Buns

Ingredients:

  • 8oz self raising flour
  • 3oz butter
  • 3oz fructose
  • Few tablespoons of milk
  • few teaspoons of St Dalfour strawberry jam (or sugar free jam of your choice)

Method:

  • preheat oven to 180
  • Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
  • Stir in the sugar
  • Add milk, a desertspoon at a time until you have a soft dough (I needed 8 desertspoons to give you an idea of quantity needed).
  • Get your hands in the bowl and divide the mix into little balls. I made 20 ping pong sized balls.
  • Place balls onto a greased baking sheet
  • Made an indentation into each ball and drop 1/2 teaspoon of jam into each
  • Bake until golden - it took 12 minutes in my fan oven.

Now here is my confession

I was in such a rush I FORGOT the fructose LOL! So I'll be serving them up for pudding today and we'll see how they are received. To be honest, I don't think DD will worry about it; anything that taste remotely like biscuits or pastry she loves. I'll slap a bit of creme fraiche with them and see what happens.

It will be interesting to see and if she doesn't say anything, then they are even more frugal than I thought!

I've just figured that you could probably use these as a savoury dish as well if you omit the sugar. I think I might experiment and see what I can come up - the easiest vol-au-vents in the world probably!
Verdict

10/10 "I think next time there is no need to put the jam in them because they are fine as they'd be fine without it."
Well there is clearly no accounting for taste! This is probably the most frugal thing I could ever
make!

No comments:

Post a Comment